May 23 - Sept 5
~Sunday worship at Common Ground at 10am, HUMC & SMUMC together
~Rain location: Hopkins UMC at 10am
Will text/email/post on Facebook if there is a rain call. Also, look for a sign at the Common Ground entrance.
Starting June 9
~Wednesday evening worship 6:30pm at Hopkins UMC & Zoom
Childcare available in the church basement
In-Person Worship Guidelines:
- Masks are required. We have not had a problem with mask wearing, but if you invite someone to come for Easter, remind them to bring a mask. We have disposable ones to give to anyone who forgets, too!
- Hand Sanitizer will be inside the entry doors before the stairway, please use it on your way in and out of the Sanctuary.
- Social Distancing will be enforced. Even if you are vaccinated, please respect the 6ft recommended to help us all do our best.
- Windows will be open to increase air circulation. We will crank the heat as needed, but bring a jacket if you tend to run cold just in case.
- No singing. The science continues to show that singing and shouting are the strongest spreaders of COVID through the air. That makes singing one of the highest risk activities by a church, so we will be eliminating that risk for now.
- Children's Church will continue. As has been the practice, we will continue to encourage the kids to follow safety guidelines as much as possible.
- Children's Sermon will maintain Social Distance. Pastor Kelsey will guide the kids as they are invited up for where they will sit and encourage them to stay in family groups and she will keep proper distance.
- Continuing COVID-times norms of gathering for worship:
- Offering will be collected as you walk in or out of the church on the welcome table. Loose change offering will also be there.
- Pick up your bulletin on the welcome table.
- There will be no moving around for passing of the peace.
- Each family has an assigned “worship bag” with activities and supplies for their kids to play with during the service. There are extra bags for visitors.
- Please be cautious with mingling, try to do it outside if weather allows.
Easter is April 4th this year. We are excited to celebrate the hope of resurrection together! Things are not yet back to normal, so we will still have a different Easter than "normal," but our hope (and current plan) is to be able to celebrate Easter together in person through a few worship options between our two congregations. How we look forward to worshiping together on that important day!
7am Sunrise Service at Common Ground
9:30am Service at South Monterey UMC
11am Service at Hopkins UMC & on Zoom live
Plan A (Good weather)
10am - Worship at Common Ground
6:30pm - Online Fellowship (Zoom)
7pm - Zoom Worship
Plan B (Bad weather)
10am - Zoom Worship for everyone
After service - Fellowship time
Following the advice of public health officials and Bishop Bard's recommendation, Hopkins and South Monterey UMCs will suspend in-person worship services and other gatherings for the rest of March, and perhaps longer. We take this step as a way of doing our part to slow the spread of the coronavirus.
We are not canceling church-we are being flexible about the way we gather together.
In addition to suspending public worship, Senior Meals, Ladies Rejoice, Book Study, and Adult Sunday School will not meet until further notice.
Our Food Pantry will continue to operate Wednesdays from 10-12 and 5-7 but with additional precautions and procedures to limit physical interaction.
Even in this season where we are called to social distancing, we will find ways to be the people of God gathered together; we will hold weekly worship Sundays at 10am on the Zoom platform. If you would like information on joining our Zoom worship, please contact Pastor Andrew at email@example.com or 919.259.4681.
This will be a challenging season, Beloved. We are being called to be church in a new way in the midst of new fears and challenges. Yet Jesus Christ remains the same, and it is in his words to us, his disciples, that we trust—Be not afraid.
Let us pray to the God who calls us to be church in this day:
God of the present moment,
God who, in Jesus, stills the storm
and soothes the frantic heart;
bring hope and courage to us all
who wait or work in uncertainty.
Bring hope that you will make us the equal
of whatever lies ahead.
Bring courage to endure what cannot be avoided,
for your will is health and wholeness;
you are God, and we need you.
Yours, in Christ,